- Tennessee Volunteers (4-4): The Vols take the top spot in the first edition of the power rankings. After a heartbreaking loss to Alabama, many of the fans wondered how they would bounce back against South Carolina. The questions were answered after a convincing 31-13 victory.The Vols are starting to pick up some momentum going into the second half of the season.
- Nashville Predators (6-6-1): The Predators are starting to find their rhythm on offense and defense. They are on a three game win streak win big wins over Chicago and Dallas. Nashville's goaltender Pekka Rinne was given the honor of one of the three stars of the week last week. He shut down the Blackhawks and was phenomenal against the Wild and the Stars. This is a great sign for the Preds, but every fan knows that the Predators are very streaky and could easily go on a three game losing streak this week. They hold on to my number two spot for this week.
- Tennessee Titans (1-6): There were a lot of questions that needed to be answered coming off a bye week. We knew that Vince Young was going to be the starter coming into the game against Jacksonville. The main question was if the defense was going to be healthy and how well Young would perform. Vince Young played like a mature quarterback who knew how to manage the game. He completed 83% of his passes and threw for a touchdown. The biggest stat was that he had no turnovers in the game. It helped that Vince Young had Chris Johnson in the backfield to hand it off to. Johnson had a career day with 220 yards rushing and two touchdowns. As for the defense, Cortland Finnegan and Vincent Fuller both returned from injuries this week. With the majority of players healed up and the acquisition of Rod Hood, the Titans defense looked like the defense of old on Sunday. We shall see if they can carry the momentum in up-coming weeks.
- Memphis Grizzlies (1-3): The Grizzlies are off to a slow start this season. Allen Iverson played his first game last night. He came off the bench in his first game with Memphis. The main story line here will be if Iverson can handle being the sixth man for the first time in his career.
- Vanderbilt Commodores (0-5): There is nothing you can even say about the Dores this season. They showed glimpses of talent this past weekend as they played Georgia Tech tough for the first half. It was only a matter of time before Tech would turn it on and blow Vanderbilt out of the water. The Commodores have official been eliminated from bowl eligibility this season. If they don't turn things around, they could stay at the bottom of the power rankings all season.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Every few weeks I am going to begin to rank the sports teams in Tennessee according to how they are doing. This is the first installment of my Power Rankings.